Thursday, May 5, 2011

Waste of Time

Some of you who have read my blog before have probably realized that spring is my favorite season. In-spite of the temperamental rain and irritating allergies, there is something rejuvenating about spring that sets it apart from other seasons. I am back and ready to blog again after an absence of four months. My absence from this blog also made me realize how everything is ephemeral.

I decided to calculate the amount of time certain individuals (who shall remain unnamed) spend on Facebook and other social networking sites. The figures are alarming and a bit sad. I thought about my life and other people’s lives wasted away, the time squandered into the depths of networks and binary numbers unable to ever be recovered; the lost time sucked by a wormhole and never to be seen again.

Deeply regretful of all the time that I and others have wasted, I thought for a moment about what to do about it. Is social media addictive? Of course it is. What is that makes it so alluring? I realized that it is the basic human tendencies and extreme emotions that make social media the most alluring: the connections, popularity, narcissism, pomposity, curiosity, insecurity, and depression. These extreme emotions somehow make their way into people’s use of these social media tools. It is usually the most social and narcissistic or the least social and insecure who is likely to be online most of the time.

I had two cups of premium Italian coffee today and with caffeine still pulsing in my system, I couldn’t help but calculate the hours spent on social media networks. Say you are an addict, and my definition of an addict is someone who spends more than 2 hours a day on a social media website: this includes sites such as Facebook, Twitter, MySpace , LinkedIn (yes, it needs to be included too), and Friendster (if you are one of those people who still use it), 2 hours multiplied by 365 days a year is 730 hours a year.

730 hours is enough for someone to write a novel length manuscript, learn a brand new foreign language, pick up a new musical instrument, travel to a few exotic countries, volunteer at a few shelters, meet a few new people, or read a few books.

After calculating the lost time, the hours seemed to go through the wormhole along with other faces and expressions, each social media website logo devoured by it, into an abyss.

1 comment:

  1. According to a recent Pew Center survey, the fastest growing group is 50 yrs and older. The social media landscape is certain changing how we communicate with each other or how we waste our time.

    ReplyDelete