Saturday, May 16, 2009

Simple Gossip from the UES

Gossip Girl is a show about a group of teenagers growing up in the Upper East Side. I have never watched that show and I am not interested in watching it when season 3 is supposed to return in the fall. As a midwestern-indian girl living in the Upper East Side, I am fascinated by the stereotypes floating around about people living around me.

The UES is a neighborhood enclave perfectly set-up in-between Central Park and the East River. Historically known to be a haven for New York establishment, walking in the quaint streets along the prized addresses closer to central park, one can easily spot little proud old ladies in fur coats or perfectly uniformed expressionless children accompanied by similar looking mothers taking them to private school. Museums and cultural attractions are in abundance; diverse restaurants dot the street; luxury boutique stores and cozy cafes can be found everywhere. A sub-culture has formed in this neighborhood. Little by little, the sub-culture that is the Upper East Side is shifting away. Many ‘outsiders’ have moved in and are gradually changing the establishment. In addition, many wealthy New Yorkers, including celebrities and young people are dumping the neighborhood and moving to more trendy neighborhoods such as Tribeca or Soho.

Yesterday, a group of confused tourists with backpacks asked me for directions, while I was standing on 79th and Lex. For a second, I thought - Do I look like an Upper East Sider, let alone a New Yorker? I don't think so, but maybe a neighborhood has some effect on its residents, whether they are part of the establishment or whether they are ‘outsiders’. Maybe, one day, you could find me in the Upper West Side or in Soho living among another sub-culture and tourists asking me for directions then. In any case, I do know that you won’t find me among the proud little old ladies or the expressionless faces that can so often be spotted around here. I grew up learning that a friendly smile won’t hurt anyone and a little humility can go a long way.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete